Thursday 1 October 2009

HW 8

Ja Min!
Your video is so cute, If is a good representation of yourself. I really liked your quote bubbles explaining the devices significance to yourself. I also really liked the idea of breaking your video into two parts, one being the electronics and then the other things you get from the internet like watching anime and menga. I think you had a unique vision and executed it well.
You mention the thought process of making the video and the reactions it caused you. You also mention the comparison of lifestyles that you and your sister share. I also agree that I would not like my little siblings to spend too much time on the internet. Finally the biggest argument that I agree with is watching yourself (or you’re younger sister) use electronics. I have noticed as well the same zoned look people seem to have.
When I look back at my video I notice the dull emotions on my face. Even though that is what it might seem on the outside, inside I am actually enjoying myself. I think case I can relate your younger sister, not in having a sad face but one of concentration into something you like.
I think an idea worth expanding is that you mention it was awkward for you to show your possessions on the video to people. Why do you think showing the electronics you own make you feel vulnerable when others seem to love to flaunt their possessions?
After viewing your video it made me consider the joy that I get from the internet or other electronic devices. You seem to love what electronics provide for you. I see anime has become a big part of your life and that may be because of the internet or TV, who knows. It just made me think of what things make me happy and what is the main source that provides those things.
You and I seem to have similar insights and I look forward to seeing your angle of insights on this unit.
–Lauren


Na Lin!!!
My initial reaction to the video was that it is so cute! I loved how you obeyed your parents’ wishes and substituted yourself with the stuffed animals. You seem very creative! I also thought you did something that no one else did and that was adding in pictures of what you thought the internet represented.
To be honest it seems like you had so many great ideas about this topic, that it was hard to follow your thought of process. If I’m correct I think your main argument is that the internet traps us, therefore we should not let that happen and choose a free path instead.
You also mention that people always have a crazy instinct to want the newest thing that comes out. When I was a child I never begged for toys that I saw on television. I feel like this has carried with me now, maybe I’m just lying to myself but I feel as though I don’t need to have new things but that new things seem to catch my eye and if I can’t have them I’m fine with that.
The quotes that stood out to be the most were “Don't we get bored; every bird wants to be free so they can fly.” And “If our lies pile up we may drown in them, the world is full of lies.” I think these tow are worth expanding your ideas. What does lying have to do with the use of technology? Do you think the use of technology causes these lies? Also to answer your first question I think looking within yourself is one possible answer. As for me when I get bored I just get the urge to move on to the next website.
You made me really think more about how much my priorities have changed as a child. I use to value my stuffed animals and crayons as my most prized possessions. Now I have my cell phone, Ipod, laptop and so many other things that I keep near and dear to my heart. I never thought of the transitions between those two phases of my life.
You seem to have so many ideas and I’m looking forward to see you explain yourself more. I think you have some solid ideas and good arguments to offer to this class. I look forward to see what else you have to say! :)
-Lauren

1 Comments:

Blogger Yuki Sakura said...

To Lauren:

Thank you for watching my video and complimenting me on the unique way I have executed my video. Also that it is "cute", thanks ^o^. You also have a warm tone in your post, and I feel very happy reading your comment. xD

Your point that I should expand my feeling of awkwardness was very helpful because I should have explain it more clearly so you would understand what I am saying. I actually didn't really know why it is awkward but I think because I am showing this to others (plus strangers) that I didn't feel like letting people know what I do.

You made me thought about why "others seem to love to flaunt their possessions?" And that made me realize how different people are in sharing their private things with others. We want to use the digital, to get new friends such as Facebook but people like me, I don't want to share what's too private or something (Jia Min's a shy person) and then those people who love to show their private life to tell others about themselves more. And then when you said how on the outside we look very concentrated or zone out and then in the inside, you are enjoying it, I think it is true. But why are we not able to show that in the video or why are we not able to see the enjoyment on the outside as we are enjoying it in the inside?

It seems that both of us are thinking about our little sister, or children a lot and how digital would affect them heavily. We both are concern what would happen to the little ones when we are experiencing the influence under the digital. We are both looking at how it would effect and cause us with using our digital.

Like I said before, both of us seem to talk about the emotions that presents us on our face when using digital and how much effects digital has put on the people (especially the little ones). However we both seem to love the digital that we have, for you its the wii and for me its the anime/manga and my computer (<3). And your last comment that you said we have "similar insights" I agree with that as well.

Ciaossu~ ^0~

2 October 2009 at 12:43

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home