Sunday 18 October 2009

HW 12



For starters, I’m ashamed to be associated with the teens in Feed. For an allegory about my generation I think Feed seems to do a good job summing us up. As most allegories do have drastic views to a situation I think once people get over the whole façade of a chip implanted in your head and start to look between the lines Anderson picked up on a teen’s everyday life style.
I share so much in common with them that it’s making me rethink my life style. Although I don’t technically have a Feed, I am always connected. My phone makes it possible for me to have a mini Feed where ever I go. I continuously say that my generation’s use of technology is harmless. In the book there excessive use of the Feed left them blind to the world deteriorating around them. My own obsession with “myself” and the activities within it makes me not care for current news or bother to study past events in the world. You could call me blind just like the teens in Feed but before I had no real grasp of the surreal impact that it could have. I might look down on the teens in Feed but I would be lying to myself if I didn’t say I was just like them.
Some ideas that came to mind when thinking of Feed’s teens were how lonely they seemed, but to be honest it seemed as though the technology was a companion. This was the most relatable concept from the book. I often don’t feel lonely because I can easily text a friend or be entertained by my music or television. I even amaze myself when I spend a whole day in my room locked up watching TV for hours or on the computer. Moments when I’m alone and my room is quite I become anxious and feel the need to do something else.
If my dad were to read this book and see how a teen party is, he would agree completely. In this case I disagree with Feed. At family gatherings my cousins and I usually get together in one section of the house and hang out there. One time my dad came into the room and at that instant everyone was either looking at their phones, ipod or on the computer. He made a comment on how pathetic we all were and left the room. That could have been a perfect example of Feed’s teens but I don’t care how advanced the world becomes; people love to party and conjure up some chit chat with people. As much as I love to text people interaction can never get be put down by technology.
I’m truly beginning to realize how out of touch I am with my fundamental living. I’m not sure if I’m using the term correctly but things I once valued have become foreign and irrelevant. For sure Feed has opened up my eyes to how dense my generation can be and made me want to change my own lifestyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home